WASHINGTON – Tonight, President Trump will deliver the annual State of the Union address before a joint session of Congress, officially his second time doing so since being elected to the White House.
In advance of the speech, Terry Schilling, executive director of American Principles Project, released the following statement calling on the President to prioritize a pro-family agenda in his address:
“President Trump has a major opportunity tonight to reset the political narrative heading into next year’s election. While he should absolutely hail his administration’s successes and use the bully pulpit to call on Congress to act on border security, he also has the opportunity to lay out a bold, new agenda to preserve and strengthen the American family. Strong families are the backbone of this country, and prioritizing the family is not only good policy but good politics as we head into 2020.
“Some of the policies the President should champion as part of this agenda include:
- Paid Family Leave: Parents must be allowed the financial flexibility to devote more time and resources to their newborn or newly-adopted children.
- Parental Rights: The state should not interfere with parents’ decisions regarding the upbringing, medical care, and education of their children.
- Health Care: Families should be given as many health care choices as possible.
- Education: End federal involvement in education and allow more control at the local level.
- Pro-Family Tax Code: The tax code should do more to promote marriage and raising children.
“President Trump understands that a key part of his Make America Great Again agenda must be putting the family first. APP stands ready to work with the Trump administration on these and many other worthwhile and important pro-family goals.”
To schedule an interview with Terry Schilling, contact Paul Dupont at (o) 202-503-2010 or email@example.com.