WASHINGTON – Yesterday afternoon at its annual State Lunch and Gala, APP Foundation released its new “Contract with American Families”, a document detailing a comprehensive public policy agenda for pro-family conservatives heading into 2019 and beyond.
Dozens of state and national groups were consulted to create the Contract, which represents a collaboration among numerous members of the pro-family movement. It begins with a statement of principles and then identifies ten objectives for policymakers to pursue in order to encourage and strengthen families:
- Government should recognize marriage as central to a flourishing society.
- The prison and judicial system should recognize the importance of fathers and mothers in the raising of children.
- Government should get out of the “family planning” business.
- Parents are entitled to direct the education of their children.
- Parents have the right to raise their children according to their faith.
- Parents have both an obligation and a right to provide for the health care of their children without government interference.
- Every family has a right to a pornography-free environment.
- Children in the womb have a right to life.
- New technologies should not prevent children from knowing the identity of their biological parents.
- Government programs should support intact families.
Terry Schilling, executive director at APP Foundation, released the following statement touting the Contract’s unique vision and importance:
We have reached a breaking point in American society. The future of the family is at stake. The social science is settled in its unanimous declaration that intact families are a critical component for flourishing individuals and healthy communities; yet, our public policy too often sets up obstacles that hinder family formation and child-rearing. And we are unfortunately seeing the result of these damaging set of policies: more broken homes, more children locked into poverty with no end in sight, and more children denied their right of having a mother and a father.
The key to solving so many of America’s social ills lies in preserving and strengthening our nation’s families. In our Contract with American Families, we have laid out the most important and necessary steps to achieving this. We look forward to working with our many pro-family allies in order to advance these goals.
To schedule an interview with Terry Schilling, contact Paul Dupont at (o) 202-503-2010 or firstname.lastname@example.org.